GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE HPGRB
The Provincial General Reference Hospital of Bukavu was founded in 1929. It served as the state hospital for the former Kivu Province (North Kivu, South Kivu and Maniema). The first extensions of this hospital date back to 1945 under the direction of Dr CAUNE assisted by the White Sisters. It was first a hospital of the Société des Chemins de Fer de l’Est (SCFE) formerly called OTRACO (Office de Transport du Congo); it later became a Congolese Hospital managed by the colonial state. In 1983, it was merged with the Medical Clinic of Bukavu and the two were called Urban Hospitals under the initiative of the then Regional Medical Inspector.
On 1 July 1987, the two institutions were split by decision of another Regional Medical Inspector and named respectively Bukavu General Reference Hospital and Bukavu Medical Clinic.
In 1997, the management of the Medical Clinic (currently Bukavu University Clinic) was taken over by the provincial authorities.
In May 2003, Ministerial Order No. 1250/CAB/MIN/S/CJ/67/2003 of the Minister of Health upgraded the Bukavu General Reference Hospital to the Bukavu Provincial General Reference Hospital, which also serves as a teaching hospital for medical students of the Catholic University of Bukavu (UCB).
In 2006, this State medical structure was transferred in management to the Archdiocese of Bukavu by the Ministry of Health according to partnership agreement No.
1250/CAB/MIN/BYY/0061/MC/2006 transferring the management of the Provincial General Reference Hospital of Bukavu is signed between the Archdiocese of Bukavu and the Ministry of Health of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The HPGRB plays both the role of :
• Reference Hospital for Bukavu city and South Kivu Province ;
• University Hospital Center ofthe Catholic University of Bukavu and other universities and health institutions in the city of Bukavu. In this aspect, it is a centre of specialisation for doctors in Surgery, Internal Medicine, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, and Paediatrics in accordance with the decision of the Ministry of Higher and University Education authorising UCB to organise postgraduate training in Medicine;
• Training hospital for young doctors before their assignment in the hospitals of the South Kivu Province ;
• Retraining hospital for physicians assigned to other health institutions in the province.
It has 16 pavilions and 28 private rooms With 2 beds for hospitalization, 2 of which are used for consultations. It has a theoretical capacity of 500 beds but only 350 beds are fitted.
1. Geographical location
The HPGRB is located at number 2 Michombero Avenue in the municipality of Kadutu on the road leading to Kavumu Airport and the city of Goma. It is built 500 m from Independence Square on the slope overlooking Lake Kivu. It is located at an altitude of 1,500 m above sea level and is subject to a mountain climate. The temperature varies between 150 in the rainy season and 250 to 300 in the hot season.
2. Organs of the HPGRB
The Provincial General Reference Hospital of Bukavu consists of three (3) organs, as follows:
• Board of Directors
• Management Board
• Executive Committee
Its medical and paramedical staff is 410, including 80 doctors (28 specialists, 60 general practitioners and 2 dental surgeons), 2 pharmacists, 148 nurses, 46 administrative staff, 9 maintenance staff, 89 workers and a contract workforce of 36.
Thanks to this motivated and dynamic staff, the hospital’s services have acquired the experience and competence to diagnose, analyse and offer the patient the necessary treatment until his recovery.
As a support service, HPGRB also offers:
• An Emergency Department;
• An Intensive Care Unit;
• A medical oxygen production unit;
• An Anesthesia and Resuscitation Department;
• External Consultations (Generalists and Specialists)
• A Medical Imaging Department;
• Physiotherapy and Kinesitherapy ;
• A Pharmacy;
• A morgue.
• An in-house optics department
• A VIP clinic (to be set up in the very short term)
As a result, its partnership with public and private companies, local and international organizations is growing every day.
It has a package of services that it offers to patients, the list of which is as follows (which is not exhaustive).
- The general consultation ;
- Specialist consultations in internal medicine, gynaecological-obstetrics, surgery, neurosurgery, paediatrics, ophthalmology, dermatology, ENT and dentistry
- Lab tests and Anatomy;
Physical fitness tests;
- Prenatal consultations and Pre school consultations ;
- Imaging and CT scans;
- Dental procedures With or without dentures ;
- Physiotherapy sessions;
- Outpatient procedures;
- Essential medicines available at HPGRB,
- The glasses;
- Hospitalization in the common wards ;
- Hospitalization in private rooms (Clinical Pavilion) ,
- Eutocic and dystocic deliveries;
HPGRB BANK ACCOUNTS
The account of the Provincial General Reference Hospital of Bukavu is opened at the BOA (Bank
Of Africa), Bukavu Branch at the following coordinates:
Account number ‘09006860008’,
IBAN: CD27 0002 5010 1200 9016 8900 0967 ;
SWIFT code: AFRICDKSXXX.